Forarding zones not being forwarded

Stephen Carville carville at ugsolutions.com
Fri Apr 14 20:36:39 UTC 2000

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Barry Margolin wrote:
-In article <38F73781.641F321 at ugsolutions.com>,
-Stephen Carville  <carville at ugsolutions.com> wrote:
->If I use the server which should be forwarding the request I get an
->error:
->
->> server 134.244.64.11
->Default Server:  ops.ug.eds.com
->Address:  134.244.64.11
->
->> trynt52.stldhcp.ugsolutions.com
->Server:  ops.ug.eds.com
->Address:  134.244.64.11
->
->*** ops.ug.eds.com can't find trynt52.stldhcp.ugsolutions.com:
->Non-existent host/domain
->>
->
->Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
-
-Your configuration looks OK to me.  Could there be a communication problem
-between the two servers?
-
-Have you tried using "ndc traceon" on the ops server and checked the
-named.run file to see what's happening when it processes this query?

On closer inspection I discovered an #INCLUDE file that had a delegation for
the zone that was working but not for the zone that was not working.  I added a
line to the included file delegating the zone to the correct server and as is
well now.  Maybe zone forwarding does not work to subdomains?  Seems like it
should but I am still a beginner at administering DNS.