Ancient BIND version?

G. Roderick Singleton gsingleton at home.com
Wed Apr 12 01:53:15 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <38F38785.E7755DAC at daimlerchrysler.com>,
> Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> >We appear to have a _bona_fide_ relic on our hands, friends. Maybe the
> >binary can be donated to the Smithsonian.
>
> Hardly.  He's running the version of named that was bundled with SunOS 4.x,
> and even early Solaris 2.x releases.  I'll bet there are hundreds, maybe
> thousands, of sites on the Internet that haven't bothered to upgrade their
> servers beyond this.
>
> Believe it or not, there are many places that don't upgrade systems that
> seem to be working OK.  They're probably also running the SunOS 4.x version
> of sendmail, I'll bet.

There's no excuse for not patching. I took a quick look on sunsolve and
found the following:

Patch-ID# 106866-02
                  Date: Dec/04/98

I may not be state-of-the-art but upgrades are available for SunOS4.x.

G. Roderick Singleton, <gsingleton at home.com> PATH tech,
71 Underhill Drive, Unit 159, Toronto, ON  M3A 2J8
Voice : 416-452-4583 Fax: 416-452-0036 Toll Free: 1-888-354-PATH

*** Notice To Bulk Emailers: Attention!  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any & all unsolicited commercial e-mail
sent to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of the $1500 US and copies will be forwarded to domain
administrators.  Emailing denotes acceptance of said terms!