Primary DNS failover

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Apr 11 20:18:58 UTC 2000

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 05:18:34PM -0800, Michael Voight wrote:
> Microsoft uses multimaster. (I think that's the name)
> Obviously, not being standards based, you can't mix it with a UNIX
> primary for the same domain.

Over the last month, this has been mentioned numerous times by two
people, with no explanation of what it is.  Michael, what is this
"multimaster" capability?  What does it provide over and above the BIND
capability of multiple equivalent name servers that are "failed over"
to automatically when any are down?  If it distributes the database of
a SINGLE domain over multiple servers, how does it avoid requiring
searching ALL servers before declaring that a given name does or does
not exist, and all the other problems that have been mentioned before?

I do have to admit that Microsoft's desire to extend a standard is
occasionally for the purpose of giving a legitimate capability that is
not otherwise available.  But often it is solely to lock in the user -
I suspect they would have embraced EBCDIC if they had thought they
could get away with it.  ;->

Thanks.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B