Bind 8.2.2 NT port tweak for nsupdate

Michael Mee mike at westside.com
Fri Apr 7 21:09:04 UTC 2000

In case someone else is hitting this, we recently tweaked the NT port in
8.2.2patch5 to get nsupdate working standalone on Windows NT (4 & 2k). (We
did this so to dynamically update Bind8 on a Linux box, but in testing we've
found it also works fine against the standard Win2k DNS.) The changes were:

1)
\bind\src\bin\nsupdate\nsupdate.c:
Line 171: inserted INIT_LIST(listuprec);
Prior to this change, a debug version would crash due to memory checks in
the debug runtime dlls. Now both release and debug versions work fine.

2)
\bind\src\port\winnt\libbind\files.c:
\bind\src\port\winnt\libbind\dllmain.c:
Tweaked InitPaths and its invocation so that the registry entry created when
Bind is installed is not required for libbind.dll to load succesfully. This
means that you can copy nsupdate.exe and libbind.dll onto an NT machine and
run it succesfully (no further setup or files needed). This may not be
strictly a bug, since it is arguably a good check for Bind8 to have. (Email
if you want the exact changes, but they're simple enough).

Btw, many thanks to all those who worked on the NT port of Bind8. We looked
high and low for an NT version of nsupdate without success ...

cheers, michael