CNAME's failing to resolve properly

peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu
Fri Apr 7 16:13:50 UTC 2000

Daniel Hawkins <dan at lts.co.uk> wrote:

> @       IN      SOA     ns0.hatters.org.uk. hostmaster.hatters.org.uk. (
>         2000040617      ;Serial Number yyyymmddhh
>         10800           ;Refresh Domain Data after 3 hours
>         3600            ;If unable to refresh retry after 1 hour
>         604800          ;If unable to refresh after 1 week then expire
>         86400)          ;Data valid for a minimum of 1 day

>         IN      NS      ns0.hatters.org.uk.
>         IN      NS      dns0.oaktree.net.uk.
>         IN      NS      dns1.oaktree.net.uk.
>         IN      NS      dns2.oaktree.net.uk.

> $ORIGIN rnjobs.co.uk.

> www     IN      CNAME       theroya02.uuhost.uk.uu.net
                                                        ^^^

If this is an excerpt from "the real file" you are missing the
trailing dot after theroya02.uuhost.uk.uu.net.

And the $ORIGIN rnjobs.co.uk. might be wrong, depending on
which zone this file is supposet to be.
Peter h

> Barry Margolin wrote:

>> In article <38ECC860.51E26217 at lts.co.uk>,
>> Daniel Hawkins  <dan at lts.co.uk> wrote:
>> >Just had a problem as follows
>> >
>> >Domain with a single machine in it which I actually wanted to point at
>> >someone else's machine
>> >
>> >www.mydomain.co.uk        IN        CNAME
>> >server.someoneelse.co.uk.
>> >
>> >On my local machine if i use nslookup to query www.mydomain.co.uk it
>> >returns the address or server.someoneelse.co.uk no bother! however if I
>> >set server to be the actual authorative named server the query fails?
>> >
>> >Why?
>> >
>> >A bit more poking revealed that doing a simple query on
>> >www.mydomain.co.uk was sending a res_nmkquery(......A) which was
>> >failing? Even though there isn't a direct A record shouldn't my named
>> >then go off and resolve the CNAME to get the A record for
>> >server.someoneelse.co.uk??
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> >If I did a set querytype=any then the outgoing query was
>> >res_nmkquery(......ANY) and everything was hunkey dorey!!!!
>> >
>> >Anyway I've removed the CNAME and just hard coded the IP as an A record
>> >for now but I'd be interested in knowing what should happen when an A
>> >query is sent but the host is actually a CNAME?
>>
>> It would help if you hadn't changed thins and told us the real domains
>> involved.  Actually, maybe if you tell us what the real CNAME record used
>> to look like it might be possible to figure out what was going wrong.
>>
>> --
>> Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.com
>> Genuity, Burlington, MA
>> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
>> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

Peter Håkanson
        Manet Networking      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)
echo "peter (at) manet (dot) nu" | sed "s/(at)/@/g " | sed "s/(dot)/\./g"|sed "s/ //g"