DNS Management

Ray Buschur rbuschur at mailsrv2.mitre.org
Thu Apr 6 15:02:10 UTC 2000

I support a large customer that uses Nortel's NetID product.  My customer is
currently licensed to manage 1,000,000 IPs world wide.  The NetID product
team has (and continues to) add features that make it feasible to manage a
very large organization's DNS & DHCP data in a very nice way.

Our configuration allows domain/network/DHCP managers to do what they need
too.  From time to time, this requires someone to change how they do things
every now and then, but generally it is working out.  We centrally control
the configuration of the DNS server (about 50-75 operational now, and the
number is growing).  It is a BIND based product, with Nortel enhancements,
that we like...the enhancements are transparent to any other DNS server.

I will say that my customer has managed to resolve the coordination issues,
even when somewhere someone is in prime time.

the project looked at several other commercial products, pure BIND, and even
briefly considered custom code (that was really brief though).

ray