funny ip problem

Yiannos Pitas yiannos at ucy.ac.cy
Thu Apr 6 13:43:07 UTC 2000

Don't think so.  It seems to me that you have a problem with subnet
masks.
What are the masks for these net?

Yiannos

Howard W Wortley wrote:

> We have in one city a co-located server with a class C set of addresses.
> This works fine except that from one cable provider every fourth address
> cannot be reached. From any other provider there is no problem. The cable
> operator says he has no fault. Any ideas?
>
> eg.     x.x.x.142       no good
>         x.x.x.143       ok
>         x.x.x.144       ok
>         x.x.x.145       ok
>         x.x.x.146       no good ... and so on
>
> I don't think it is a DNS problem as using tracert the ip adress get
> resolved to the host name ok ... but the connection cannot be reached. As
> the DNS is on the same server as the unreachable ip connection I am
> mystified. As I said it only happens to hosts connecting through this
> particular cable company's cable which hands out DHCP addresses. As it is
> every fourth address I imagine it is some kind of routing problem.
>
> TIA Howard

Yiannos Pitas,                  |  Tel: 357-2-892136
Computer Center,                |       357-9-429774 (mobile)
University Of Cyprus,           |  Fax: 357-2-756082
Kallipoleos 75,                 |  email: yiannos at ucy.ac.cy
2100 Nicosia,                   |  http://www.ucy.ac.cy/
CYPRUS.                         |