Proxy question

Ian Carr-de Avelon avelon at emit.pl
Tue Apr 4 07:08:04 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:
>In article <38E8C245.A1369601 at ssa.gov>,
>David Spigelman  <david.spigelman at ssa.gov> wrote:
>>When trying to resolve an address from a workstation behind a proxy
>>server, where does name resolution typically take place? Does the
>>workstation make the request? Or does the proxy server? If possible,
>>could someone provide a reference? (I need to show this to someone in
>>writing.) TIA!
>
>If the proxy is explicitly configured in the web browser, the proxy does
>name resolution.  This is necessary because in many environments with
>proxies, the client machine doesn't have access to an Internet nameserver,
>but the proxy does.
>
>If it's a transparent proxy, the client sends its own DNS queries (since it
>doesn't know that it's behind a proxy).  The transparent proxy might
>implement proxying for the DNS lookup as well.  Whether this is what
>happens depends on the specific network configuration.
I think you will find that with most off the peg software the DNS lookup
happens everywhere. Newer versions of Lynx certainly lookup IP, even if
a Proxy is set. Also Netscape insists on doing so. A further pain is that
the proxies lookup ip on pages which are cached, so if DNS has expired
you can't see pages in cache either.
Yours
Ian