Why are ip address' assigned to ports ???

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Apr 3 15:40:16 UTC 2000

In article <seclu9559179 at corp.supernews.com>,
Dano <express at fastdial.net> wrote:
>    I see this in allot of machine setups.
>
> port411.name.net. 86400 A  nun.113.nun.202
> port978.name.net. 86400 A  nun.113.nun.203 (nun being part of the number
>scheme)
>
>    I understand ports are assigned to services, so are the these IP
>assignments set for those services use.

I suspect these ports don't refer to TCP or UDP ports, but physical ports
on a terminal server.  In other words, if you dial and get connected to
port 411, you'll be assigned address nun.113.nun.202.  If the ISP gets a
complaint of hacking coming from port411.name.net, they can look in their
logs to see which customer was using port 411 at that time.

>Is another way of running multiple Name Servers in on physical machine ???
>    I've been told by one so-called "guru" his operation runs 4 masters & 4
>slaves
>on 2 machines. is this possible & practical ???

You can configure virtual addresses on the server, and bind different
servers to different addresses using the "listen-on" option in named.conf.
For instance, on our network, dnspri.sys.gtei.net (4.2.49.5) and
dnssec.sys.gtei.net (4.2.49.1) are the same physical machine.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com