DNS Server behind another DNS Server?

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Apr 3 08:50:33 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "Iván Díaz" <ivan at linux-pr.com>

> I have some server(colocation) on some ISP.  My domain is proyecto.com...

> At the proyect I need to give to my clients some sub domains, like
> client.proyect.com......

> I want to run my own dns server, because if I run it I can
> add all the sub -domains that I need for my proyect..  all of that subdomain
> will point to the same ip.

If you want your own DNS server to be authoritative for proyecto.com,
contact your registrar. You could still have the ISP run secondary servers
for your domain. Another option would be keeping the authority with your
ISP, but set up a hidden primary your ISP's secondaries would pull the
zone from.

If you want your own server to be authoritative only for
client.proyecto.com (I assume you accidentally left off the trailing "o")
and maybe other subdomains, you need to add delegation information, i.e.
NS and possibly A records, to the primary server for proyecto.com, e.g.:

$ORIGIN	proyecto.com.
client		NS	ns1.client
		NS	ns2.client
ns1.client	A	192.168.0.1
ns2.client	A	192.168.0.2

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.