Most popular DNS

Tony Earnshaw tonye at ilion.nl
Sat Apr 1 14:30:20 UTC 2000

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 08:53:01AM -0500, Shawn Mcpherson wrote:
> > I'm looking for some stats on what DNS servers are the most popular.
> > Specifically, what apps (Bind, IIS, etc) on what OS (Unix, Linux,etc)  on
> > what platforms (Solaris, Intel, etc).

> BIND

O.k. BIND. On Unix or anything (it's there for NT too, but costs a
fortune and doesn't guarantee the accuracy of the configuration).

My question is, what is meant by 'popular', and why?

What is the most popular SMTP server: Sendmail? Webserver: Apache?

Why?

I'm a BIND man, Exim (vs. Sendmail), and an Apache man. My reason is,
not 'cos they are more popular than others, but because they work
better.

But, you have to be a command-line Unix man first, have to understand
what you're doing, have green fingers. Point-and-click is for the
also-rans.

But, point-and-click is the most popular.

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw
Randstad 2157