suggestions for timeout values for SOA records

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Aug 4 03:38:15 UTC 1999

This is something that is relative to how you wish to administer the
domain. Later versions of BIND that include NOTIFY eliminate the need to
worry about the REFRESH time value. The TTL is still important.
You must decide this based on how often you plan to update a zone and
how long you want the rest of the world to keep the old information.
This can vary by zone. There is no one size fits all set of values.

Michael Voight
Cisco TAC