DNS/@home/LINUX/

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Aug 30 22:17:35 UTC 1999

In article <37cae610.339819544 at news>,  <pconley at home.com> wrote:
>	I've set up DNS/BIND on a linux box in my home (BIND=version 8
>and on the @home network).  On another network, if I set the name
>server ip to this machine, all hostnmame/address mappings are resolved
>with nslookup...so I think I have BIND configured and running
>properly.  However, if I let the default ISP nameservers handle it,
>the mappings are not resolved.   I thought that if the lookup failed
>at the ISP nameserver, then it would ask the NIC which host is doing
>DNS for my personal domain, and then pass the request off to my DNS
>machine.  This does not appear to be working in my case

What domain did you register with the NIC?

>1) Can anyone suggest possible configuration pitfalls that would give
>this behavior?

If the ISP's nameservers have been configured to be authoritative for the
domain, they won't pass the request off to anyone.  Did you choose a domain
that used to be delegated to your ISP?

>2) Does anyone know if it is possible to do your own DNS for a domain
>containing hosts on different subnets (as is generally the case when
>one gets multiple ip addresses from your ISP.

Sure.  The address of the DNS server has nothing to do with the information
it can supply.  How do you think it works for all the companies whose web
servers are located on remote web farms?  www.company.com is obviously in a
different subnet than mail.company.com in those cases.

In order to provide reverse DNS for all those addresses you'll need to
create multiple IN-ADDR.ARPA zones, one for each subnet.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com