Setting up a Root name server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Aug 27 18:58:26 UTC 1999

>     How would I go about setting up a root name server, I have the TLD
> files from internic and would like to set up a root server for my
> network. We currently host about 250k IP's and believe that this would
> speed up our network a lot.

It would wreck it, since you don't get the minute-by-minute updates
that the real root servers do.  The information that you get from them
gets cached, and thereafter is just about as fast as having your own
"name" server.

You could have one central name server that caches everything - a
cacheing-only server, q.v. in DNS and BIND.

> I've tried a few things but can't seem to get named to load the xxx.zone
> files right...
> What should the named.conf file look like for something like this??

Use the file in a "hint" zone, and let the root server maintainers have
their headaches.

	zone "."	IN	{
		type hint;
		file "root.cache";