Nslookup and reverse resolving question

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Wed Aug 25 21:38:05 UTC 1999

Greg Bratus <gbratus at nesmail.com> wrote in message
news:<vCWw3.33$xd1.959859 at news1.van.metronet.ca>...
> Another problem which is hopefully related, whenever I type nslookup at
the
> prompt it returns with edssalumni domain name which I host, not the name
> of my domain.  Perhaps my reverse zone file is the problem,  Besides the
> soa and serial numbers I only have four entries and they look like this.
>
>                 NS                   lions.extranetedge.com.
> 150         NS    PTR        lions.extranetedge.com.
> 150         NS    PTR        www.rupnow.com.
> 150         NS    PTR        www.edssalumni.com.
>
> The same IP hosts all the domains so I thought I could re-use the ip?  Is
> this correct?

The IP address can reverse map to different names, yes.  Unfortunately, with
that setup, you can't be sure which name your server's IP address will map
back to.  That can cause problems with some software and, as you've seen,
some confusion with nslookup.

> I have included the actual domain names in case someone has
> time to look.

Good for you!  That really makes it much easier for those of us who answer
these questions.

I don't know if this is also a problem, but trying to map your IP address
back to a domain name, I get an NXDOMAIN (no such domain name) response.
Your reverse mapping zone is hosted on these two name servers:

235.224.209.in-addr.arpa.  22h47m56s IN NS  ns1.domainhost.com.
235.224.209.in-addr.arpa.  22h47m56s IN NS  ns2.domainhost.com.

Looks like your PTR records for 152.235.224.209.in-addr.arpa aren't on those
name servers.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.