Curious Name Resolved!

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Aug 23 18:11:55 UTC 1999

> A friend asked an unusual question today about some spam he received this
> weekend.  I won't include the full URL of the spam, just the interesting part -
> as I would want to inadvertantly help these people out.
>
> The URL he received started with:
>
> http://3345775946/
>
> He asked me how an URL like this would work,  and demonstrated it for me.
> Checking it out with nslookup it resolves to user.exit.de.
>
> What magic is at work here??
>
> Thx
>
> --
> Scott Hunter

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic."
However, this is simple arithmetic.

3345775946 (base 10) ==
C76C7D4A (base 16) ==
C7.6C.7D.4A (IP address base 16) ==
199.108.125.74 (IP address base 10 again) ==
	Name:    user.exit.de
	Address:  199.108.125.74

The Hexadecimal parts are totally unnecessary to the arithmetic, but
they make it easier to "grok" the breakup into IP-address octets.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B