what have I overlooked?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Aug 23 16:56:50 UTC 1999

> I have users having problems trying to get to a website at a military site.
> The DNS name does not get resolved and times out.  I have used nslookup and
> used some of the Root servers and still was unable to resolve the name.
> However if I log onto the local ISPs and the NetCopter site the name can be
> resolved.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction to resolve this.

Probably not.  I have been monitoring letters about a complaint I made
regarding a .mil site.  The "telephone call game" mutations are obvious.
It would be amusing if I didn't care about it a little.  (The players
include nic.mil, disa.mil, army.mil.)

OBTW, ISTM that the root servers do not recurse.

I see you're complaining about WPAFB.  They just put their entire base
behind a "Barrier Reef" super-firewall cluster.  Then they had an ISP
failure that lasted for, ISTM, over a day, and they've had several
little failures since.  ISTM that writing to hostmaster at wpafb.af.mil or
root at scn1.wpafb.af.mil might help; but it might be a drop in the
bucket.  [Obviously, I also have people interested in connecting to
sites on that base.  ;-)]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B