optimizing rtt (was: Re: root-server trouble?)

Ingo Luetkebohle ingo at devconsult.de
Sat Aug 21 13:46:22 UTC 1999

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Barry Margolin wrote:
> BIND already does this automatically.  Whenever it uses any server it
> records the response time.  When it has a choice of servers for a zone
> (including the root) it chooses the one with the best past response time.

Hmm. Well, if thats really the case, it doesn't do a very good job. A while
ago, I set up an ipfw rule to log DNS queries and most of them did go to
the US servers, which are definetely not the best. Maybe thats related to
the fact that our named is reloaded every hour.

However, I found out that there's a configuration clause called "topology"
which allows me to specify which net blocks are preferred. I didn't do an
exact measurement, yet, but my purely subjective impression is that it has
helped tremendously.

--
		Ingo Luetkebohle / 21st Century Digital Boy
dev/consulting Gesellschaft fuer Netzwerkentwicklung und -beratung mbH