Need to provide MX for 2 domains, but no public computers on one

Ben Kosse BKosse at thecreek.com
Fri Aug 20 16:41:13 UTC 1999

Also replying to Michael Voight here.

> In article
> <2A7687211800D211A00C0060B05722280172C0BA at lynx.thecreek.com>,
> Ben Kosse  <BKosse at thecreek.com> wrote:
> >I've got 2 domains I need to provide MX records for (thecreek.com and
> >pkb.thecreek.com), but no matter what I do, every time I try
> to do a lookup
> >on the secondary domain (pkb), I get a server error.
> Presumably, I don't
> >have it configured correctly, but I can't figure out how to
> go about that?
> >
> >Any ideas where to start?
>
> It seems to work fine for me:
>
> % dig pkb.thecreek.com mx @ns.thecreek.com

Actually, that is our current nameserver which has all sorts of ugliness in
it that I'm trying to fix (mx records pointing to systems that you can't see
from the internet and so forth). The server in question currently is
206.153.245.13 but will eventually become ns.thecreek.com (but not yet).

/etc/named.conf:

options{
        // Database directory
        directory "/var/named";
};

// Root nameserver cache
zone "." in {
        type hint;
        // Filename is unstandard to ease automatic updates from
        // Internic
        file "root.hints";
};

// Localhost
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "rz/127.0.0";
};

// thecreek.com domain
zone "thecreek.com" in {
        type master;
};

// pkb.thecreek.com
zone "pkb.thecreek.com" in {
      type master;
      file "pz/pkb.thecreek.com";
};

// Web server domain -- non aliased
zone "coldwatercreek.com" in {
        type master;
        file "pz/coldwatercreek.com";
};

// Web server domains -- aliased
zone "coldwater-creek.com" in {
        type master;
        file "pz/coldwater-creek.com";
};

// Web server domains -- aliased
zone "coldwaterinc.com" in {
        file "pz/coldwaterinc.com";
};

// Web server domains -- aliased
zone "eccosong.com" in {
        type master;
        file "pz/eccosong.com";
};

// Web server domains -- aliased
zone "ecoviews.com" in {
        type master;
        file "pz/ecoviews.com";
};

// Web server domains -- aliased
zone "milepost-four.com" in {
        type master;
        file "pz/milepost-four.com";
};

// Web server domains -- aliased
        type master;
        file "pz/spirit-of-the-west.com";
};

// Reverse 10.1.0
zone "0.1.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "rz/10.1.0";
};

// Reverse 10.2.0
zone "0.2.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "rz/10.2.0";
};

// Reverse 10.3.0
zone "0.3.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "rz/10.3.0";
};

Yes, I know I need to remove the reverse mappings and I'll do that, but I
can't fathom how it could be affecting the pkb.thecreek.com lookups
(pkb.thecreek.com is the 10.3 subnet)

Here's the /var/named/pz/pkb.thecreek.com file:
     @       IN      SOA     ns2.thecreek.com. bkosse.thecreek.com. (
                             1       ; Serial
                             7200    ; Refresh every 2 hours
                             300     ; Retry every 5 minutes