NS record for the @ entry

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Aug 20 15:39:18 UTC 1999

In article <37BD0888.C72B7A2C at hk.china.com>,
Edmund  <c990077 at hk.china.com> wrote:
>Sorry, I should make it more clear.  What I'm saying is that if a query
>for my zone is first received by my parent zone DNS server, my
>parent zone DNS server would answer the query with NS records
>returned.  Would these returned NS records come from those pre-
>configured NS entries in my parent zone DNS server or from my
>primary DNS server @ NS entries ???

It depends on whether the parent zone DNS server is also a slave server for
your zone.  If it is, it will return the NS records from your @ entries and
completely ignore the ones in the parent zone file.

If not, it depends on whether the parent zone DNS server has recursion
enabled and whether it happened to query your server and get your NS
records into its cache.

Basically, the @ NS records are assumed to be more reliable than the NS
records in the parent domain -- the administrator of a domain should know
precisely what its servers are, while the administrator of the parent
domain could easily get out of date due to the layers of bureaucracy
between them (InterNIC is the administrator of one of the biggest parent
domains -- .COM -- and we know how difficult it can sometimes be to get
them to make changes).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com