How to set up DNS to only add aliases?

Cedric Puddy cedric at itactics.itactics.com
Thu Aug 19 20:40:02 UTC 1999

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Itai Tavor wrote:

> > > I should have given more information in my original post...
> > >
> > > What I want to do is create sub-domain names, not assign registered
> > > domain names. So, if the ISP's DNS is the master for mycompany.com, I
> > > want to create aliases of the form sub1.mycompany.com,
> > > sub2.mycompany.com, etc. But to do that, it seems to me that I need to
> > > set up my own DNS as master for the mycompany.com domain, which would
> > > clash with the ISP.
> >
> > But if you did that, there would be no reason for the ISP to be the
> > master for the zone. You don't have to be the master for mycompany.com.
> > You can simply have the ISP put an NS record in the mycompany.com zone
> > that delegates the subzoness to you.
> >
> > Michael
>
> Yeah, I realize that... I'm just trying to avoid having to go through
> the ISP every time I want a new alias. I don't want to take over DNS
> responsibilities for the whole site, but I do want immediate, local
> control over my aliases.
>
> It's just a Convenience issue... if it's not an easy thing to set up
> I'll just ask the ISP.

What I have done in the past is to use include files.
The only senario in which I have tried this is where I
get the service provider include a file that I have
control over into their named.boot/named.conf file.
I then add my own secondaries, etc into that file, and
the provider reloads his DNS every 6 hrs to make sure
my changes get incorporated w/o bugging him.

Obviously, this requires a provider with an above average
amount of faith in you.  Since you're not out to run
the whole show, it doesn't really do what you want.

Ideally, you could have the SOA record with all the
standard stuff in it, then an include to a file that
you had control over which had your aliases and so on.
I don't know if that is possible by default, but if
it isn't, someone could write a script to concatinate
two files together, then reload bind... :)

-Cedric

-
   Cedric Puddy, IS Director		cedric at thinkers.org
     PGP Key Available at: 		http://www.thinkers.org/cedric