Root servers

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Aug 18 05:51:54 UTC 1999

Kathleen_Moriarty/FactSet%FACTSET at factset.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having intermittent problems resolving certain host names for periods
> of a few hours at a time over the past few days.  I believe I tracked does
> the problem to intermittent packet loss to 4 of the root servers.  The
> problem in each case is not on my ISPs networks, but after I leave their
> networks.  I am following up with my ISPs, but wanted to know if other
> people were experiencing the same problem.  Root server are also not always
> able to contact the primary and secondary servers for my domain name as we
> ran into trouble last night when one of our servers could not be resolved -
> that cleared up on it's own.  I guess when the cache expired and during a
> time we were not seeing the packet loss.
>
> We are having the most problems with domain names from other countries -
> .jp, .es, .br, etc.
>
> The servers I noticed packet loss to are:
>
> 192.112.36.4
> 128.63.2.53
> 193.0.14.129
> 198.32.64.12
>
> I am seeing the loss right now, but it is intermittent.

What do you mean packet loss? How are you measuring packet loss?
It is NOT uncommon to have timeouts when going around the world.
You kind of have not much control over it.
However it is not really a DNS or BIND issue, but a general network
connectivity one. Do you lose packets when pinging the outside servers
by address?

Michael