DNS Help

Ronald Procopio RonaldMarkProcopio at netscape.net
Wed Aug 18 00:56:34 UTC 1999

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <37AA0786.59F507F6 at cisco.com>,
> Michael Voight  <mvoight at cisco.com> wrote:
> >Sorry, I don't have an answer, but why would you put 120 addresses on an
> >interface?
>
> You've never heard of virtual servers?  Presumably his nameserver is also a
> web server.

Virtual servers don't have to have different ips's.  It is an option
that usually has to do with the clients expected browser as some older
browsers did not work well with virtual hosts that didn't have their own
ip.  But most browsers now work with virtual ips and it is not nescesary
to use all those IP aliases on a single server. DNS aliases to a sinlge
Ip work as well as host records pointing to one ip.

(based on experience with APACHE.)