how did wrong record get cached?

Carol Deihl carol at tinker.com
Tue Aug 17 14:44:07 UTC 1999

Hi again,

Seems weird to answer my own question, but...

Carol Deihl wrote:

> Hello,
>
> About a week ago I updated the InterNIC registration for a domain
> that I am now hosting, which used to be hosted elsewhere. I

[rest of problem description snipped]

> Question 1: How did some name servers cache the wrong address,
> considering that my name servers report the correct address,
> and the previous name server had a ttl of 10 minutes?

Once I realized that a.root-servers.net was reporting an
IP address for a *web* server (when I presume it should normally
just refer off to my dns servers), I began to suspect the problem.
Turns out that the previous web hoster had unwittingly registered
the *web* server as a Host at the InterNIC some time ago, so changing
my local dns entries has diddly-over-squat effect on what A is
reporting.

What I've learned today: always check for Host Records at the
InterNIC when you move a domain, just in case...

Carol
Carol Deihl - principal, Shrier and Deihl - mailto:carol at tinker.com
Remote Unix Network Admin, Security, Internet Software Development
  Tinker Internet Services - Superior FreeBSD-based Web Hosting
                     http://www.tinker.com/