The New Windows

Chapman, Matt chapmam2 at ocps.k12.fl.us
Mon Aug 16 12:10:36 UTC 1999

Hi,

Gotta question for anyone that can answer it.  I am currently running the
latest version of Bind on a unix server.  My employer is moving towards a
Windows 2000 server deployment and we are part of the beta program.  My
concern is that Active Directory replicates the DNS (or so it would seem)
and dns kinda replaces wins for windows machines, I mean it runs Dynamic DNS
and gives everything a dns name.  Does this mean that the DNS has to run on
the Windows server or will bind understand this stuff?  Does this also mean
that by giving everything dns names that because of microsoft we are now
going to increase the size of zone files???  ...this looks crazy if you ask
me...

-matt

--
Matthew Chapman
Network Engineer
chapmam2 at ocps.k12.fl.us

*My Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer ;)