Named 8.2 problems

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Sat Aug 14 05:52:19 UTC 1999

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <7701D223FAB9D2118F6800105A0F0C0C38F03E at imps0064.us.dg.com>,
> Pandit, Tushar <tpandit at imps0014.us.dg.com> wrote:
> >
> >When I try to run 'named' and do a nslookup, I am getting the following errors :
> >
> ># nslookup
> >*** Can't find server name for address 128.222.3.1: Server failed
> >*** Default servers are not available
> >
> >What does this mean ? and how do I rectify it ?
>
> It means that there's something wrong with the reverse domain containing
> server's address (either 222.128.in-addr.arpa or 3.222.128.in-addr.arpa).

Either fix the zone or make the nameserver 127.0.0.1.
Hopefully, that zone is correct.
BTW, this is an nslookup issue. It doesn't affect your ability to
resolve hostnames with the resolver. nslookup requires you  be able to
resolve your server's address to a hostname, a ping or telnet isn't
going to require that.

Michael

Michael