Unwanted ISDN connections caused by BIND

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Fri Aug 13 21:36:55 UTC 1999

bhk at dsl.co.uk (Brian {Hamilton Kelly}) ha scritto:

>The local BIND is mostly to handle local traffic (actually, it has
>successfully stopped the bloody Windoze machines from trying to find a
>nameserver, which was causing unwanted dial-ups before) and only
>occasionally (like if I go "surfing" at the weekends, when telephone
>calls are cheaper) is OS/2's TCP/IP needing to contact the outside
world.

Try declaring the . zone as "master" instead of "hint". This is wrong
DNS speaking, but should avoid initial lookup, and you say you use DNS
for local purposes.

I've not followed the whole thread, but if you use diald you can filter
dns requests of a certain length (that is those lookups would not cause
a connection), since the lookups for root nameservers are always very
short in length (they search for ., not for www.example.com or the
like).

giulioo at tiscalinet.it

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/