Domain non-existent / flooding attack

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Aug 13 03:01:15 UTC 1999

> Thanks to all who answered my question. I really appreciate it.
>
> But Mark, I find it hard to believe that luck has something to do with it.
> After all, the reasoning is that if I had not increased the gov.sg zone s/no
> then none of the other DNSes would have reason to do another zone transfer.
>
> Unless you are saying that previously I updated the gov.sg zone and also
> some time later I updated the sgnews zone s./no but all the other ISPs
> picked it up and except for pridns.ncs.com.sg which was slow in doing so ?
> Then when it did pick it up, the sgnews was already added ? I certainly hope
> that this is the reason....

	When I checked all but for pridns.gov.sg and secdns.gov.sg
	were returning NXDOMAIN (from memory the gov.sg serial #
	was 199908020?, all the servers had the same serial).

	This is consistant with configuring the servers for sgnews.gov.sg
	but not updating the parent.

sg.                     1d8h4m10s IN NS  AUTH02.NS.UU.NET.
sg.                     1d8h4m10s IN NS  DNSSEC1.SINGNET.COM.sg.
sg.                     1d8h4m10s IN NS  DS.NIC.NET.sg.
sg.                     1d8h4m10s IN NS  NS.RIPE.NET.
sg.                     1d8h4m10s IN NS  NS1.PACIFIC.NET.sg.

gov.sg.			1h3m26s IN NS	ns1.pacific.net.sg.
gov.sg.			1h3m26s IN NS	ns2.pacific.net.sg.
gov.sg.			1h3m26s IN NS	dnssec1.singnet.com.sg.
gov.sg.			1h3m26s IN NS	dnssec2.singnet.com.sg.
gov.sg.			1h3m26s IN NS	secdns.cyberway.com.sg.
gov.sg.			1h3m26s IN NS	ds.nic.net.sg.
gov.sg.			1h3m26s IN NS	pridns.gov.sg.
gov.sg.			1h3m26s IN NS	secdns.gov.sg.

sgnews.gov.sg.		6H IN NS	secdns.gov.sg.
sgnews.gov.sg.		6H IN NS	pridns.gov.sg.

	Luck has to do with which of the sg and gov.sg servers were
	picked when you try to lookup sgnews.gov.sg.  You has a
	85% chance of getting a NXDOMAIN if the server had not
	history of the RTTs.

	For a sg site which hadn't looked up a gov.sg domain the
	probability approaches 1 that you would get a NXDOMAIN as
	the RTT times would select dnssec1.singnet.com.sg and
	ns1.pacific.net.sg.  For sites which had looked up a gov.sg
	domain in the past there was a 75% chance of getting a
	NXDOMAIN.

> BTW, Mark I understand that there has been concern over a flooding attack on
> DNS servers via udp port 53. Is there a fix yet for this ?

	There is a configuration advisary being prepared.  The only real
	fix is for ISP's to police their customers and block packets with
	source addresses that don't belong to the customer.  Good ISP's
	already do this to prevent other spoof source address based
	attacks .

> thanks for your help.

	Mark