Caching problem??

Tony Harris tharris at cts.com
Thu Aug 12 16:40:50 UTC 1999

	Hey Guys,

What would be the easiest way to setup a domain to query one nameserver for all A records yet
host the domain and MX records on another nameserver.  A friend is running a cluster server which will
check for connectivity before assigning an IP address for a hostname but the
cluster server does not handle MX records so he wanted me to host the domain
on my server but redirect all queries to his server for hostname resolutions.

I was thinking that I might be able to setup a wildcard on my server by putting in

 *.        IN       NS   hisserver

However it will resolve the first time I do an nslookup but future nslookups will not return
any IP address at all.

I tried doing an nslookup with -norecursive and it shows Served by: hisserver
so my only guess is that it does not lilke the wildcard for an IN NS record or it is
caching the information.

My system is running BSD 3.0 and BIND 8.1.1 using the named-bootconf.pl.

Also note that if I use a straight hostname instead of a wildcard like:

test	IN	NS	hisserver

then it queries everything perfectly and always returns an IP address.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Sorry for the semi-vague email.

-- Tony