international hosting

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Aug 12 14:05:29 UTC 1999

In article <7ot6pd$521$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <netpagejim at my-deja.com> wrote:
>I have a client that wants to host a large number of international sites
>with us (russia = .ru, hungary =.hu, etc.).  Requirements are that each
>site have 2 nameservers on separate Class C networks.  Currently we have
>two nameservers (both Class A networks).

That's a silly requirement.  It should be sufficient that they be on
different physical networks and power supplies.  Our nameserver addresses
are all in the same /24 block, but they're actually located in different
parts of the country (4.2.49.2 is in Palo Alto, 4.2.49.3 is in DC, and
4.2.49.4 is in Texas)

>I would like to setup a dedicated server for this client.  If I use that
>as the primary nameserver, can I stick a second nameserver with a class
>C address in one of my existing servers?

Sure, why do you think you couldn't?

>Is there any problem using my Windows NT machine to host multiple
>nameservers?

I wouldn't recommend using Microsoft DNS for large-scale DNS.

>Does the client have to somehow register with that country's nameserver?

Someone has to tell the administrator of the country's TLD to add
delegation records pointing to your nameservers.  Otherwise, how else would
the rest of the Internet know that you're hosting their domain?

>Do I need to start dedicating a machine strictly for DNS?

It depends on how many domains you'll be hosting.  Our servers hold over
20,000 domains, so we use dedicated machines.  For a small number of
domains DNS can coexist with other services.

>Is this an absolute waste of my time?

If you're going to be doing DNS professionally, you should hire someone who
knows this stuff rather than going to the net.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com