Unwanted ISDN connections caused by BIND

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk at dsl.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 00:32:19 UTC 1999

On 11 Aug, in article
     <1669.934363326 at kludge.mpn.cp.philips.com>
     jim at mpn.cp.philips.com "Jim Reid" wrote:

>     Brian> Once BIND is running, it can go a week without my having
>     Brian> made another connection to the outside world.
>
> This is inconsistent with what you seem to be saying below. If your
> name server is forwarding queries to your ISP's server, presumably
> those queries will be bringing up the ISDN link too if they're for
> names that aren't in your name server's cache already.

That's because I don't necessarily always connect using ISDNpm and OS/2's
TCP/IP.  All of my news and mail connections are made using KA9Q/2, which
knows how to "dial" my ISP (via cFos/2 and the ISDN CAPI), and it has
it's own way of using my ISP's nameservers.

The local BIND is mostly to handle local traffic (actually, it has
successfully stopped the bloody Windoze machines from trying to find a
nameserver, which was causing unwanted dial-ups before) and only
occasionally (like if I go "surfing" at the weekends, when telephone
calls are cheaper) is OS/2's TCP/IP needing to contact the outside world.

>     Brian> Obviously with a D-o-D connection such as this, I'm serving
>     Brian> up my internal LAN, and use a forwarders line to specify my
>     Brian> ISP's nameservers

and it contacts the outside world in the shape of those nameservers to
which I refer with the forwarders options ONLY when I (or someone on one
of the Windoze machines on the LAN) fires up a browser and needs to
resolve an external hostname.

BTW, please do NOT e-mail cc:s of news postings, unless you at least SAY
SO in the mail: I spent twenty minutes composing a reply to your mail,
and have now wasted that time because I'm making the reply publicly here
instead.

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}                                         bhk at dsl.co.uk
    "But we're a university.  We /have/ to have a library!..."said Ridcully,