What's wrong with this zone file?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Aug 9 18:05:51 UTC 1999

> I knew you couldn't have leading 0's but I didn't know it was only for 8
> and 9.

No, the point is that you CAN have leading 0's; but when you do, you
may not use the digits '8' and '9'.  And it does NOT break anything.
It just creates numeric expressions with different meanings from
similar numeric expressions without the leading zeroes.  020 is a
perfectly good expression of the number of which 16 is another
expression [and neither expression IS the number, as some jingoists of
ten-fingered or eight-fingered sentient races would have you believe
[;-)]  ].  It's just that 020 is not the same as 20.  Why is this
necessarily surprising?  020 is also not the same as 02.

;-)  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B