Naming the Nameservers

David Carmean dave at west.net
Fri Aug 6 04:42:35 UTC 1999

[ I'm sorry...this is not exactly BIND-specific, but it looks
like comp.protocols.tci-ip.domains should be renamed
comp.POLITICS.tcp-ip.domains. ]

So far, all of the nameservers I've built/administered have
done double-duty as both the authoritative ("listed") nameservers
(for hundreds of domains, at the ISP jobs), and as caching
servers resolving queries for client machines (e.g. dialup users,
desktops, etc).

I'm looking for ideas for a naming scheme for these servers that
makes clear the distinction between the two functions.  One case
I remember, for a large ISP, had the authoritative/published
servers named NS1, NS2, etc., and the caching-only (presumably)
servers for the clients named DNS1, DNS2, etc.  I'd use
ns-resolver-1, etc, but I'd rather find something shorter.

Anybody done/seen anything that they like better?  I'd like it if
the names could serve a dual purpose and sort of educate people
that there's a distinction between the two.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
David Carmean                                           <dlc at netapp.com>
  PGP fingerprint =  B1 57 EB A8 1D B9 87 86  5F 5C 51 A4 F2 5E ED FD

	My God, it's full of Cars!