No root nameservers for class in

Eva Felipe Eva.Felipe at uab.ericsson.se
Wed Aug 4 13:04:41 UTC 1999

Hello,

Jim Reid wrote:
> This is a bug in 8.2.1. It reports this error message when the name
> server is authoritative for the root zone even though: (a) there's
> nothing wrong with the root zone file; (b) the name server knows about
> the root name servers. The error message is generated in error. I
> found this bug in one of the 8.2.1 betas and reported it to the ISC
> just before 8.2.1 was released.
>
> The problem's with the 8.2.1 code, not your zone and config files. I'd
> ignore the message for now and hope/pray that this is fixed in 8.2.2.

I can ignore the message for now. But then my question is if the next
error message has anything to do with the 'no root name servers' error?

If I go ahead and send a DHCPREQUEST I get the following:

  dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:c0:4f:e0:86:7a via eth1
  dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.20.0.36 to 00:c0:4f:e0:86:7a via eth1
  dhcpd: nsupdate failed: unknown hostname for update
  dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.20.0.36 from 00:c0:4f:e0:86:7a via eth1
  dhcpd: DHCPACK on 10.20.0.36 to 00:c0:4f:e0:86:7a via eth1

> OTOH, ignoring what would otherwise be an important error message like
> "can't find the root name servers" sets a dangerous precedent: what if
> some other name server generates this message for real?

Yes, I agree. Hopefully this will be looked into in before 8.2.2 is
released.

Thanks for your help. It is somewat of a relief (!) to know that the
problem is not in my zone and config files.

/Eva