Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) develops commercial quality opensource software for the Internet Community. ISC has a proud history in the development of the Internet, with many of the DNS and DHCP related standards in use today written by current or past employees. We are currently seeking highly qualified and motivated software support engineer.
Take a proactive role in assuring that ISC’s customers receive world-class support and provide ISC sales staff with pre-sales assistance as needed. Primary duties include investigation and resolution of customer technical issues and interactive communication with customer while maintaining a high level of professionalism and a sense of urgency.
Duties will include:
- Work directly with ISC’s customers, providing them with accurate and prompt technical support for BIND and DHCP within their contractual response time frames during the workday, and when on the on-call rotation off hours.
- Work with Engineering to produce bug fixes for support customers.
- Work directly with ISC’s customers to fulfill consulting engagements.
- Learn and stay current on all of the ISC products, service offerings and policies.
- Review and document customer’s current design and implementation to provide recommendations for enhancements and reduce response time on future inquiries.
- Work with the ISC Sales and Marketing group to identify and close future business.
- Monitor public DNS & DHCP public mailing lists.
- Review, triage and repair software defects in coordination with Engineering.
- Provide technical pre-sales assistance for Business Development as requested.
- Assist with tasks for other parts of the company when task matches employee’s skill set.
- Examples: Training, Technical documentation, KB articles, blogs, white papers, pre-release and/or regression testing.
Minimum job requirements:
- Experience: At least 4 years experience in 7×24 technical support and/or system administration including a minimum of 2 years working directly with customers or in-house clients to resolve issues and a minimum of 2 years as systems administrator running BIND and ISC DHCP. Must have the ability to read core dumps. Able to troubleshoot problems using standard tools such as dig and packet sniffing/analysis.
- Specific Skills: Ability to write scripts and compile source code. Basic knowledge of Internet standards and protocols, specifically the following: TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, routing, and Unix/Linux. Possess and employ core understanding of customer service techniques. Strong interpersonal, communication and time management skills are required. Be self-motivated, a problem solver and a team player able to work with minimal supervision.
- Specialized Knowledge:
- Must know BIND 9, DHCPD 4, Unix shell.
- Must have enough software development experience to be able to debug ISC products. This includes a strong knowledge of C/C++.
This is an on-call position and candidate must be available via cell phone or pager 7×24 while on call. While working as a member of a geographically dispersed team, we prefer this position be at 950 Charter Street in Redwood City, California, however, we will consider exceptional candidates working from home anywhere else in the world.
Some travel required to All-Hands Meetings and potentially to Technology/Industry Conferences, ISC trainings and Customer Meetings.
Express your interest by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.orgApply Now