Background and Job Description
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. (ISC) is a non-profit whose mission is to support the infrastructure of the Internet. ISC develops and maintains the widely-used BIND and ISC DHCP open-source software applications. We are seeking a Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer to help raise the quality of software used by millions of people world-wide.
ISC is a small organization with a big job: we need people who are competent, experienced self-starters, with a strong commitment to open source. For the right individual, we can offer challenge, flexibility, tremendous satisfaction and an open, collaborative environment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for architecting, developing and implementing test scripts and systems for ISC’s automated test environment. He or she will be responsible for running the tests and reporting results, and will also take an active part in debugging problems found and following up the problem through to resolution. Other responsibilities will include assisting in the administration of the build and test farm. A large part of the testing is concerned with checking conformance to Internet standards. ISC is a public benefit company and, although aimed at improving the quality of our software, it is possible that the development work will lead to an open-source protocol conformance test suite.
- Developing test plans (protocol conformance, feature testing, system testing, performance)
- Writing and maintaining test scripts, both general and for specialist testing hardware
- Developing and maintaining test automation systems
- Scheduling and running tests
- Publication of test results
- Tracking of quality assurance metrics
- Entry of defects and problems in the defect tracking tool and following up with re-testing.
- Provision of summary reports to management
- Estimation of test planning and execution effort for project planning
Specific Technical Skills
- Network certification preferred: CompTIA Network+, CCNA, or MCSE
- Specific experience with ISC core products: BIND, ISC-DHCP or Kea
- C/C++ Programming experience
- Experience with one or more of Perl, Awk and Tcl/Tk
- Scripting experience: Bourne/Posix shell, Python
- Experience with Jenkins
- Experience with test hardware and software such as Mu Dynamics, Spirent, Ixia and IxANVL
- Experience with various analytic and diagnostic network tools such as tcpdump, netstat, Wireshark, nmap, dig, etc.
- Strong familiarity (including administrative experience) with Unix/BSD/Linux operating systems
General Technical Skills
- Understanding of the DNS and DHCP protocols
- Strong end-to-end IP network troubleshooting skills
- Strong general troubleshooting skills, with ability to assess, document and solve complex issues
At least 5 years of experience as a developer, test automation developer, lead test engineer, lead QA engineer, or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience and skills in the following areas:
- Test lab competency (ability to work hands-on or remotely with wide range of test and networking infrastructure equipment
- Ability to work in varied user environments such as Linux, Unix or Windows)
- SQA Planning (ability to assess/assign tasks and provide level-of-effort estimates for completion)
- Test Case Design (ability to design high-level test plan for assigned scope; create manual detailed test cases; automated test case creation knowledge)
- Test Types/Levels (ability to create and execute performance, functional, integration, security and regression test scenarios)
- Defect Management (ability to identify and accurately document defects, log via defect management tools, track and manage to completion)
- Technical Aptitude (ability to interpret technical specifications, retain and utilize knowledge acquired from application and product training)
- Communication Skills (ability to effectively communicate verbally and via the written word)
- Documentation Management (update, management, and contribute to test artifacts repository)
- Ability to work independently
- Leadership skills (lead project comprising of peers, manage and mentoring of more junior staff members)
Bachelors Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering / Computer Science (or equivalent) is required
Flexible Work Location
ISC is a global organization. Although our headquarters is located in Redwood City, California (USA) and a number of staff are based there, many of ISC’s staff work from their homes throughout the USA and the rest of the world. Note that occasional travel to the company’s USA offices will be required.
ISC is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about ISC and its critical role in the Internet community, visit http://www.isc.org.
Express your interest by sending your resume to email@example.comApply Now